Recent news reports about overweight and obesity have sent the message that no matter what you do, it is very unlikely that you can change your overweight body into a fit one… and stay that way.
Yes, most people do regain weight after they diet. Most lost weight is found, true. But does that mean you can’t succeed? No it doesn’t and YES you can make lasting change for the better.
You must have the right knowledge and you must put that knowledge into action. You must also have the right support and you have to understand that it is lifetime recovery through daily action steps that are repeated to the point they are permanently ingrained habits. Those habits must form routines. Those routines must become a new, healthier way of living… a new style of life… a new LIFESTYLE.
I have been teaching and practicing and researching and learning about helping you transform for over three decades. There are a lot of myths out there and a lot of misinformation. A lot of ignorance, even among the so-called experts. And there are a lot of lies being intentionally told by a disreputable diet and fitness industry.
Sweeping away the surface swill takes time and skepticism; research and study; trial, error, practice and persistence. Having poured myself, wholeheartedly, into this process for years and years, I have come to some basic and fundamental principles that work. Perineal truths that stand out and endure over time. What worked twenty years ago works today and will work twenty years from now.
Okay, so What Really Works?
Weight loss and fitness transformation is a process of lifetime recovery. You never ‘get there’ to a point where you are done and no longer need to pay attention to it. That is the biggest diet myth of all… the myth that once I lose the weight and get fit, well then I’m done. It does NOT work like that.
The first thing you need to succeed is the right knowledge. The second emphasis must be on putting that knowledge into ACTION. Basic daily action steps, repeated over and over again, is where the abyss between knowing and doing is crossed. Your new habits must be practiced, reinforced with reward and feedback, and done with conscious intention every day. It is not complicated when you have the right method to follow but it does take a commitment on your part.
There are a few key habits that I've found are essential when changing your life in a healthy and sustainable way.
1) Exercise most days. Lift weights. Do interval aerobics. A half hour a day with intense effort has been proven to work better than longer workouts with low effort. The methods I've made available to you through Body for Life and the 5/25 method are sustainable, effective and efficient. Consistency and intensity are the keys that make workouts work.
2) Plan your meals ahead of time and follow your plan. You can’t go wrong with eating a balance of healthy foods, smaller meals more frequently throughout the day and an occasional free day gives flexibility and practicality which are key for long-term results. Take your vitamins and supplement with quality proteins IF you can’t get in enough healthy whole-food meals each day.
3) Connect with a support group to give and receive encouragement and accountability. Transformation is a Team sport so to speak. Connect with a community of other people who are also trying to make healthy changes and you more than double your results in the short and long term.
4) Think it through! We get out of shape by not paying attention to what we are doing. We get in shape by taking the opposite approach which is to pay attention to our health. Don’t take your eyes off the road. Take a few minutes each evening to review how you did that day, give yourself feedback, make note of several things you did right that day and identify one thing you can do even better the following day. I want you to think, plan, and prepare for success as a daily habit.
5) Your mindset is key! Set your mind in the right direction – cultivate a positive, healthy mindset by seeing your progress as success. Just making the effort to improve your health is success. Be proud of even trying because most people don't. You will win when you learn that success must be measured by the completion of key daily action steps and not just the scale. Measure your success by what you have accomplished, not what you haven’t. Focus on your progress, and forget about perfection!
6) Develop your short term and long-term goals. You will do best if your goals are specific, measurable, actionable, realistic, and time-boxed. Your goals can be behavior or performance based (I Will Workout at least 60 times over the next 12 weeks) as well as result based (I Will be 30 lbs. Lighter within 6 months). Use your goals to answer the question, “What can I do between now and this time tomorrow to take a step in the direction of my goals?”
I've found that most people are encouraged by the prize and not the penalty, so make sure to reward yourself in some personally meaningful way for the achievement of goals. This will help you be inspired to set new ones and work hard to achieve those, too. There is nothing more motivating than results.
Yes, you can change. It's never too late. You're never too far gone.
I have seen so many people lose fat and gain muscle, transform their health, and change their lives over the long term with the approach I just described above. Now, is that the only way? No, absolutely not. There is more than one right way to get to the top of a mountain. But when you decide to change your health and improve your life, how many proven effective ways do you need? One! So now it's up to you to pick one method that works and please stick with it for goodness sake! Give your mind and body time to respond to the positive changes.
The real mindset shift happens when you accept the fact that you CAN change, you do have the ability. It is up to YOU to own that and take responsibility. No one is going to do this for you. You are the only one standing in the way of where you are now and where you want to be. Once you make the decision to change, doors will start opening for you.
This last part is the best part. When you change your health and life for the better you will inspire others to do it too. Your change makes a massive difference to your family, your friends, and your community. We need your example and leadership more than ever before. You can change the world around you and it all starts with changing yourself.
Wishing you the best of health,
Thank you for the encouragement!
I have had success from this before and you have encouraged me to get back to it!
Great words of encouragement!!
Too many times, we think there’s some magic pill that will do the work for us.
Your words ring true with the right plan discipline and positive mindset anyone can change at any age it’s never too late!!
Your teachings are timeless and are followed by me each day to the best of my ability. In gratitude always. Pan
I’m so grateful that God has given you more time to continue in helping us, thank you! Blessings to you & Maria =)
Bill- you have been a Guiding Light for me for so many years. When I started out, I worked hard and your strategies were full proof. Now, after all these years, and a bright new start with your great products Right Nutrition, I am hoping to use your insight to navigate myself(and others/family) to a New Beginning. Thank you, Mr. PHILLIPS. I believe this Post is a great way to get your program back on track.
I still work out with weight 3 days a week heavy (50lb dead lifts and squats-now) along with all the other body parts! I do cardio everyday Hydrow rower and walking at least a couple of miles with my puppy! At my age now I am less weight then ever before and thankfully do not look my age. I still follow your program to a greater extent, but have learned that I need to eat no processed or prepackaged foods anymore, only whole foods now! I also still a free day about every other week.
Your words and insight always pick me up and motivate me. Thank you so much for send this link.
I’ve definitely been thinking I’m too far gone!!
“Yes, you can change. It’s never too late. You’re never too far gone.”
Trying to find a little support now will be good.
Great words of wisdom! I’ve put on some pounds, but you remind me I can lose them and get into shape again! Thanks Bill!
This couldn’t have come at a better time!! THANK YOU Bill, always inspiring, and always right on point!!!!! xxx
Great plan. Great blog
So true! I love that your program is sustainable and I have never had the success with any other program as I have had with BFL. Accountability is also so important and part of #3…… Bill, continue to get better and please do your Transformation program again!
Apriel L JessupSearcy
December 29, 2022
Love you insight and encouragement, ALWAYS!